The new year has started and that means that we need some extra encouragement now and then to keep working and this encouragement is often in form of a snack. Here I’ve got a super simpel recipe for your sweet tooth, one that’s quit healthy as well!
Ingredients: for 8 balls:
- 8 medjool dates
- 20 almonds
- some shredded coconut
- optional: some cocoa powder or coconut flakes
- Put the almonds in a bowl and use a kitchen machine or a blender to crush the almonds roughly. Pay attention that you don’t crush it to fine, some harder bits are nice for a crunch.
- Next, cut the dates in half and remove the pit. Now you can cut the dates fine with a knife or use a kitchen machine. I find it easier (but messier) with a knife because my blender gets al stuck with the tough ‘dough’ .
- Then knead the almonds and dates together until you have a good even dough. Roll is to one big ball and now you can cut it in 8 even pieces, using a knife.
- Roll the 8 pieces again in a ball and when they have a nice shape roll them through the shredded coconut. If you like, you can put some coconut flakes through the dough in an earlier stage for a more pronounced coconut taste. An other option is to add some cocoa to taste to the almonds and dates and roll them again through some cocoa (and coconut) when they are in their shape. When you use cocoa, the balls taste almost like chocolate truffels.
Because all the sugar that are in the balls are only from the dates, you don’t have any empty calories (1): energy that you consume without other nutrient benefits like fiber or vitamins, like tabel sugar. The dates are full of fiber (good for your stool for instance), vitamine C and potassium. Vitamine C is important to form connective tissue for muscles for instance and potassium is important for your nerve system to operate well.
But next to this: they’re a good ‘pick me up’ when you need some sugar and energy. I usually eat two of them as a snack.